Real stories about real people in and around Fishers, Indiana. J.Q.F.R. will be proud to be associated with this worthwhile blog.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Geist Airport Upsets Residents


Yesterday, my wife came running into the house. “Theirs a turtle under my car.” “What is a turtle doing under your car?” “Well as I was pulling into the driveway I saw this turtle running on our driveway and stopped, he then went under the car to hide.”

So out to the driveway to check on the turtle and sure enough Timmy Turtle was hiding under the car. I showed him a strawberry from my garden and out he came to have a bite. “What are you doing in the driveway?” “I had to leave Geist and start looking for a new home.” “But why, I though you turtles loved Geist?” “We do, but have you heard what Mayor Faulty and the City Council want to do to Geist, I am not going to stay and be the last one out, I want to get moving to another lake before all the good spots were taken as others start to move out.” He started talking a mile a minute, which is very hard for a turtle to do.

What tale of a story. You see Fishers has annexed the lake and never told any of us homeowners about what is going on, they didn’t even tell the water company that legally owns the lake and lets us turtles live in the lake for little rent. They also didn’t tell any of our other friends who live in the lake. Mr. Big Mouth Bass was so upset he was looking at the Corp of Engineer maps on what other lakes were upstream or even on the other side of the dam and you know he has been here for many many years. Then we heard what Fishers wants to do with the lake. You know, “They wanted to move the airport on 96th to Noblesville”, but Noblesville doesn’t want Fishers airport. So we heard Fishers is going to move the airport onto the lake. Yes an airport. We understand there are two options being viewed, one is to move an obsolete Navy aircraft carrier to the lake and let airplanes land on the carrier and the other is to outfit the airplanes with water ski’s.

When I pointed out that an aircraft carrier could never get up Fall Creek and past the dam. Timmy told me that they heard that Mayor Faulty was going to use all those balloons left over from the conventions and lift the carrier into the air and float it into the lake. That President Bush had given the carrier to the City if they could move it. After all the council and the President are in the same party. When I told him there is no way that the balloons would work, Tim was feeling a little better, but what about the sea planes, we heard Mayor Faulty said the homeowners around Geist could afford to add skis to their jets and built hangers on their shorelines. He was going to move the airport’s main hanger on the north end next to IMI and may even build a runway over the mud flats. “Do you know how many of us live in the mud flats?” he asked. I have to admit I had no idea, but told him it might cost to much to build a runway over mud flats, all the substructure they would need and even IMI would have to work around the clock making cement to make a runway on mud. He told me they heard IMI was going to move its dredge to the north side of the Olio Bridge soon to start work on the runways. The other thing they heard was that the land on 96th was so valuable for making more strip malls, it would pay for the higher cost of the new water runways. I told Tim I didn’t think he had to move right now, that he could go back home and all of this was just rumors. I said I would let you know when something happens. But he reminded me; you may not hear until its too late, look how they annexed the lake without telling anyone. As I carried him back down to the lake, I realized he had a very good point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home